In light of all this practicality, and the inescapable influence of my youth, I found myself looking for easy knitwear to make that I would really wear. I decided to tackle my take on the Flashdance look. You know the one?
I picked up one yard of a super inexpensive hacci-type heathered grey knit at Hancock. Hacci knit and ITY knits have a really loose weave and are unstable. It probably wasn't the best material to start with, but all the problems with it ended in happy accidents. I didn't own a pattern, or even see a pattern that had the exact look I was going for, so I drafted this top from another pattern that was close to what I was looking for... Simplicity 1690.
As I mentioned, this fabric was really tricky. I tried to hem it with a twin needle on my sewing machine, but the hem was all over the place. It looked like I let my kids take turns chewing on the edge of it... not good. The solution I came up with for the hem was to make them all cuffs! I cheated! To do it, I just measured the length of each edge that required finishing-- the armholes, the neck hole, and the bottom. Then I cut a length of fabric to each of those lengths. The width was determined by what I wanted the end cuff width to be. So, the width would be 2x's the desired cuff width + the seam allowance. So for a 1 inch cuff with a 1/2 inch seam allowance, you would cut the fabric 3 inches wide. The benefit to doing a cuff was that I could use my serger for the entire thing. I think it finished well too...
So, I love this shirt. Its comfy. Its semi-stylish. It took only a yard of fabric, and I know I'll wear it. In my mind I am indeed a maniac, maniac on the floor.